Sunday, November 2, 2008

Mortality...

Today was the first Sunday that I have volunteered at my church. I have been going on and off since I moved to Salt Lake the first time in 2005 and I love it. I am always uplifted and the message is very personal and powerful like the speaker had been a fly on the wall in my life and then taking the situations or feelings to broadcast them from the pulpit.

It was a no different this morning, it was nice to go early to meet the team that I would be working with and see where I would be of the most use. The hour before first service went much faster than I expected it to with the coffee brewing and the programs ready I took my seat in the auditorium the woman I was shadowing wanted to go to second service so I went to first. The message was powerful and I truly enjoyed it. After the worship I went back to my post at the store front. K2 sells coffee mugs, hats, books, t-shirts, and gives away CD's of previous messages.

Then tragedy struck, a slew of ambulances, police cars, and fire trucks were swarmed around the other building. K2 has a white warehouse and a red one I was serving in the red. People were bustling around trying to figure out what had happened and it was really one of the worst things that could have. A 14 month old little boy had been playing with his dad and other kids in the nursery of the other building and had choked. Details on what he was choking on were not released. Thankfully his dad is a doctor and when he noticed the child struggling for breath gave him the hymlick and then administered CPR while waiting for the medical crew to arrive. Little Major Rhoades, still without breath was then rushed to Primary Children's Hospital. In Lieu of the news the pastors didn't know what to do or how to conduct the second service, so we prayed as small groups and we sang worship songs and prayed that this little boy and his family would be okay.

About 15 minutes into the service news came through that with assistance of machines and in intensive care Little Major was breathing and his vitals were up, we celebrated! I spent the rest of my day reflecting on the message that I had heard from the earlier service and the tragedy of what was happening to this family and the community of K2 the Church. Then around 5:30 my new friends came to pick me up to go to a group that meets on Sunday nights and in the midst of talking about what happened and praying for the family and this little boy news came through that he was without oxygen for nearly 20 minutes and although he was technically alive with the aide of the machines he was completely brain dead. The family was at the hospital making difficult decisions on what to do, and whether or not to donate his organs and let him go to God.

That is all that I know so far, so please anyone who reads this have your thoughts and prayers be with the Rhoades today. Kiss your kids tell them that you love them, let the people in your life that you care about know it. We could all be gone in a moment...

No comments: